Sunday, April 30, 2006

Carnivale of Couture: Suffering for Fashion

We all do it sometimes. We twist our feet into torturous shoes and squeeze ourselves into uncomfortable dresses or rigid jeans in the name of fashion. So this week's Carnivale topic should turn up some fabulous stories.

Hosted by the fabulous Sense of Soot:

"The Topic is Torturous Fashion, and not the kind you tried, hated, and discarded. Oh no, we're going deeper into the dark corners than that, my dumplings. There is something you have owned, a style you have loved with a masochism unparalleled. We'd adore a picture of the wicked object of your agonized affection, but you must at least confess what fashion item hurt you, and why you continued wearing it in your twisted triumph and shame."

Now, I've worn a lot of beautiful but cruel shoes. I've suffered with a smile for a pair of fuschia and black Via Spiga slingbacks, a pair of cherry-red peep toe pumps, and a pair of rich chocolate brown knee boots, to name the most recent offenders. Note: I will continue to wear painful shoes when I know I won't have to walk much. I am a true fashion masochist.

But we've all been there with the painful shoes, so I have another story to share. It's about a necklace. At first glance, a necklace seems pretty low-risk in the painful clothing stakes. Necklaces can't be the wrong size, they generally can't be too tight (well, maybe a choker that really chokes!) - they are safe.

My necklace was a long brown, amber and gold affair with rows and rows of beads. It looked fabulous over a simple top - definitely a standout piece. However, it was ridiculously heavy. After about 5 minutes, a dull throb started in the back of my neck that quickly developed into a full-blown headache. My necklace was literally a pain in the neck!

To this day, that gorgeous necklace remains the one piece I simply will not wear. The Fashionable Kiffen has met her match.

See what the rest of the blogosphere has to say at the Sense of Soot!

1 comment:

Cristina Hanganu-Bresch said...

A painful necklace...that's original!
Although, now that I come to think about, I still have a ring shaped like a sunflower--and the little spiky petals never failed to poke my finger in the wrong way (not to mention, they have the potential to destroy every fine thing, from silk to pantyhose, they come close to)