Sunday, May 07, 2006

Carnivale of Couture: Clothes on Film!

This week's Carnivale is being hosted by the stylish Clothesaholic, and she's wondering what movies have had a hand in our wardrobe fantasies.

"My theme is -- Clothes on Film! What movie, TV show or video featured clothes that made an impression on you? What movie, TV or video wardrobe did you try to emulate? How many times did you dress up as Emma Peel (or for the mens, John Steed) at Halloween, and if not, why not? 'Fess up, I know you have at least one vest a la Annie Hall, or torn sweat-shirt a la Flashdance, stuffed back there in your Closet of Shame."

It's no secret that Evita (yes, the Madonna and Antonio Banderas film) is one of my favorite movies of all time (shut up, I like cheesy musicals), and Madonna's fabulous 30s and 40s outfits are a perfect example of timeless vintage style. Look at this amazing white suit and hat! The wardrobe in the movie was just impeccable, from Eva's luxe furs and glittering jewels to the sweet polka-dot dress she wears as a girl of 15. Besides, how could I not love a movie with the phrase: "They need to adore me, so Christian Dior me, from my head to my toes" (from the song "Rainbow High). If you are into vintage at all and haven't seen this movie yet, what are you waiting for?

Yes, I covet her on-screen wardrobe, but Eva Peron the woman is quite intriguing; next time you are looking for reading material, pick up a biography of Argentina's grande dame. Whether you respect her for helping the common people, or you think she was just a tramp in the right place at the right time, at the very least she lived an incredibly interesting life.

No comments: