Monday, August 28, 2006

Fashion and...Football?

Warning: If you don't care about football, skip this post:

Gucci and the gridiron don't usually mix well. With the possible exception of ESPN's cute sideline reporters who wear sleek little suits and a full face of pancake makeup while pretending they understand the game, fashion has no place on the field. So every fall, I trade the stilettos for jeans and sneakers (I don't go too far, I keep the mascara and some subtle jewelry), and begin obsessing about my teams.

Since I went to the greatest college in the land - Notre Dame - fall is the time for the wearing of the green. For the first time in what feels like decades, ND has a Heisman hopeful in QB Brady Quinn and is a possible national championship contender. Irish eyes are smiling right now thanks to Charlie Weis, but a tough schedule, a slow secondary, and the harsh glare of the media could stand in the way of the first Irish title since 1988.

Note: I fully expect to get some emails about how Michigan, USC, and your grandmother's bridge club can kick ND's ass. Bring it on!

When it comes to the NFL, well, I'm guessing I'm one of the very few people in the fashion industry who have a fantasy team, and maybe I should just leave it at that. Also I'm a Lions fan, and that tends to elicit more pity than anything else.

We will now return to our regularly scheduled fashion programming.

No comments: