Monday, February 11, 2008

Mixing Black and Blue

Do you wear black and dark blue together? I know that many people consider it a faux-pas (e.g. "Don't mix black and blue, you'll look like bruise!"), but I think that black and a deep shade of blue can look incredibly elegant, and a little bit mysterious when done correctly. For instance, black opaque tights with a midnight blue dress, or navy satin top paired with tailored black pants or a suit. Personally, I like this combination better when there is some texture - when something silky, shiny, or nubby wool is involved - it breaks up the darkness.

Check out some runway shots - clearly, many designers aren't afraid to go black and blue:


From left to right, these looks are by Proenza Schouler, Rag & Bone, and Vera Wang Lavendar Label (all pictures from Style.com).


Again, from left to right -Abaeté, Elie Tahari, and Cynthia Rowley (pictures from Style.com).

There is really only one caveat to wearing this combination: if you are at all fair-skinned or pale, it might be time to break out the rosy blush and lipstick, or risk looking kind of sickly - these deep colors can be a little draining. A warm, flattering blush and wearing the blue (it's not as harsh) closer to your face will definitely help.

3 comments:

The Spicers said...

I LOVE this color combo!

alm said...

One of my favorite color combos. Very chic, a bit surprising, not as drab as black and gray. I wouldn't do it with the darkest navy, I definitely pair these all the time.

1blueshi1 said...

I rock indigo patent leather heels from BCBG Girls with opaque black tights and a navy black dress! one of my favorite outfits, and you are right, definitely break out the Nars Orgasm blush, and the red lipstick along with the smoky eye.