Monday, July 09, 2007

RIP Jane & Long Live the New Media

Once again, traditional media has lost to the web (score one for the bloggers!). As I'm sure all my readers are aware, Jane Magazine folded today. Although I wasn't really a fan of Jane (I only read print fashion magazines for the pretty glossy pictures, so my favorites tend to be more on the visual side), I do feel for the staff of the magazine - coming in after a holiday weekend and finding out that your job is basically over has to suck.

However, does anyone else find it interesting that magazine geared more towards the hip, edgy, alternative chicks that didn't like the traditional magazines lost out? I'd be willing to bet that those same girls are all online writing blogs and reading sites that are way more current (immediacy is one of the key pillars of online media) and niche-specific than a national glossy could ever hope to be. I'm far from the first person to say this, but print media needs to figure out how to differentiate itself in a positive way from the web in order to compete, e.g. what can a print mag offer that a website can't?

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this and Conde Nast just spent waaaay too much money launching Portfolio, so something needed to get cut?

No comments: