Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dressing Up Is Easy To Do

We, the people, are lazy.

Designer sweats, casual every-days, Uggs, and (shudder) crocs have become so prevalent that simply wearing something not sloppy has been equated with "dressing up". Seriously, since when did being put together become so difficult?

I'm probably preaching to the fashion-blogging choir a bit here, but I think it's time to put down the jeans and pick up the tailored trousers. Set the frayed denim mini aside and try an elegant pencil skirt or a girly circle skirt. It's time to make some effort, for heaven's sake. Personally, I know I feel better - more confident - when I'm wearing something stylish than when I'm in gym clothes or similiar (obviously, it is okay to wear yoga pants and the like when you're working out or on the way there - I'm referring to the people who seem to think gym gear is good 24/7. And they're not personal trainers.)

Besides, to quote the ever-fabulous grande dame, Vivienne Westwood:

"Why do people think that if you don't dress up, others will appreciate your beauty more – that style will somehow emanate from you? It's rubbish. If you dress up it helps your personality to emerge – if you choose well." (quote found via The Coveted).

Listen to Vivienne and don't hide your light under a bushel. Too busy to put together a chic ensemble every single day? Take the time to plan ahead and organize - set aside an afternoon to examine your wardrobe, pick out outfits, and mix and match what you have. Chances are you have many more options than you thought; anyways, shopping in your own closet is free!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! It's so true~~the other day I had on a little vintage sweater and some black trousers with my more~comfortable~than~slippers pumps and my neighbor said "Wow, you look so nice". It was as if I had a ballgown on! It would be nice to see that "effort" made when it comes to leaving the house in something other than pjs!!
Michelle